Linda G. Lambert, Ed.D.
P.O. Box 135, The Sea Ranch, CA. 95497
- B.A., Washburn University, Topeka, Kansas
Majors: Political Science, History, Psychology, 1966
- M.A., graduate work, Hayward
Major: Educational Administration, 1978
- Ed. D., University of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
Major: Organization and Leadership, 1983
- Post-doctoral work-University of CA, Berkeley
- Professor Emeritus, California State University, East Bay (CSUEB), 1998-present.
- International Consultant in Leadership, 1992-present.
- United Nations, Egyptian, and U.S. LearnLink project to develop Community Schools for Girls, Egypt, 1997-2005.
- U.S. State Department and Egyptian Ministry of Education, Staff Development Director, Cairo. 1989-1991.
- Director, Center for Educational Leadership, CSUEB, 1995-98
- Professor, Dept. of Educational Leadership, CSUEB, 1987-2001; Department. Chair, 1991-93, 1995-97
- Director of Professional Development, Marin County Office of Education (MCOE), 1986-87
- Coordinator, Bay Area Regional Admin. Training Center, MCOE, 1984-86
- Director, Principal’s Center, Marin County, CA, 1984-86
- Business, Educational and International Consultant, 1977-present
- Principal, San Jose Middle School, Novato USD, Marin County, 1981-84
- Curriculum Coordinator, Castro Valley USD, Alameda County, 1978-81
- Director, Reform in Intermediate and Secondary Education (RISE) Project, Castro Valley USD, Alameda County, 1977-81
- Secondary School Teacher, Junior and Senior High Schools, 1966-75
- Probation Officer and Social Worker, 1964-71
Research and Development Projects
- Women’s Ways of Leading, international studies, 1993-2007
- Inquiry into Egyptian education and womens’ development, Cairo, Egypt, 1989-2006
- “A Study of High Leadership Capacity Schools,” with 20 US-Canadian co-investigators. Lambert Leadership Development. 2003-2006.
- “Teacher Leadership” with Sarah Gonzales, CSUH, Center for Educational Leadership, 1998-00.
- “Emergence: A Study of a District in Transition,” Saratoga, CA, Chief Investigator, 1992-98.
- “The Constructivist Leader.” American Educational Research Association, New Orleans, April 1994.
- “Women’s Ways of Leading.” On-going research, 1991-2009; presentations at 10 research events. Research published, Fall, 2009.
- “Secondary Credit and Choice System in Egypt,” Supreme Council of Universities, 1990-92.
- “Professional Development Environments n Restructuring Schools.” A study of five school districts, Chief Investigator, 1986-88.
- “National Beginning Secondary Principals Study,” Oxford University, Florida State University, CSUH, 1987-88, Co-Investigator.
- “Minority Access to Science and Math Careers,” University of California, Berkeley, and Berman-Weiler Associate Researcher.
- “Project EXCEL,” a study of the organizational, curricular, and instructional development of a district, San Francisco, 1983.
- “A Critical Analysis of the Assumptions Held About Adult Learning by Policy Makers, Researchers, and Staff Developers,” a dissertation study, University of San Francisco, 1983.
- “Middle School Instructional Study,” Far West Laboratories, San Francisco, CA, 1982-83.
- “Reform in Intermediate and Secondary Education (RISE),” a study and project in secondary reform, State of California, Department of Education, 1975-78.
Awards and Recognitions
- Scholarship, Mendocino Coast Writers’ Conference, Summer, 2013
- Honorable Mention. Novel entry. Cairo Diary. Mendocino Coast Writers’ Conference, Summer, 2009
- Professor of the Year, 1999-2000, California State University, Hayward.
- Building Leadership Capacity in Schools selected as Premium and Comprehensive Membership book (100,000 copies distributed), Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development, 1998.
- Leadership Capacity for Lasting School Improvement also selected as Premium and Comprehensive Membership book (100,000 copies distributed) ASCD, 2003.
- Professor of the Year, Phi Delta Kappa, 1997-98.
- Outstanding Researcher (significant grant acquisition, School of Education and Allied Studies), CSUH, 1997-98.
- National Book of the Year Award for The Constructivist Leader, National Council on Staff Development, 1997.
- Helen Heffernan Award, Outstanding Educator in California, 1996, awarded by the California Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- Mentor of the Year (CSUH mentoring program), 1996.
- American Educational Research Association (AERA), Chair, Division A Leadership Section, 2001
- California Association of Professors of Educational Administration (CAPEA), President, 1993-94
- California Collaborative for Educational Leadership, Chair
- Association for Supervision of Curriculum Development (ASCD). Literary reviewer, presenter, research evaluator, planner. Alexandria, Virginia. California ASCD, charter member.
- The Leadership Network, a partnership of Alameda and Contra Costa offices of education, the California School Administrators, and CSUH. Planner and chair.
- American Educational Research Association (AERA). Presenter, researcher, critic, converter, discussant.
- Association of California School Administrators (ACSA). Planner, regional officer and president, presenter.
- National Principals’ Center Network. Board member, international conference designer and host. Harvard University.
- Professional Development Consortium. Board member.
- The Cairo Codex, a novel. Atlanta, GA: West Hills Press. 2013.
- Leading in Challenging Contexts. In E. Reilly & Q. Bauer (Eds.). Women leading education across the continents: Overcoming the barriers. Lanham, MD: Rowman Littlefield Education. 2013.
- Dear Maxine: Letters from the Unfinished Conversation. Robert Lake, Ed. New York: Teachers College Press, 2010.
- Cairo Diary, a historical novel, Authorhouse publishing, 2010
- Women’s Ways of Leading. with Mary E. Gardner. Indianapolis: Dog Ear Press. October, 2009.
- Cairo Diary, an excerpt. Todd Literary Review, Summer, 2009.
- “Reconceptualizing the Road Toward Leadership Capacity,” Building Sustainable Leadership Capacity. Alan Blankenship, Paul D. Houston, Robert W. Cole, Editors. Thousand Oaks: Corwin Press, 2009.
- “Lasting Leadership: a Study of High Leadership Capacity Schools,” The Jossey-Bass Reader on Educational Leadership, 2nd Ed. San Francisco: John Wiley & Sons. 2007.
- “Lasting Leadership: a Study of High Leadership Capacity Schools,” The Educational Forum. Kappa Delta Pi. Vol. 70. No.3. Spring, 2006.
- “Constructivist Leadership,” The Essentials of School Leadership. Brent Davies, Ed. London: Paul Chapman Publishing and Corwin Press. 1st Edition, 2005. 2nd Edition, 2008.
- Leadership Capacity for Lasting Improvement. ASCD, June, 2003
- Building Leadership Capacity for School Improvement. With Alma Harris, Open University Press, June 2003.
- “Leading as a Form of Learning: Implications for Theory and Practice.” The Changing World of School Administration. NCPEA 2002 Yearbook.
- The Constructivist Leader, 2nd Edition, with Deborah Walker, Dianne Zimmerman, Joanne Cooper, Morgan Lambert, Mary Gardner and Maggie Szabo. Teachers College Press, Columbia University. 2002.
- “Teacher Leadership in Professional Development Schools: Emerging Conceptions, Identities, and Practices.” Journal of School Leadership. With Sarah Gonzales. Volume 11, January, 2001.
- “The Petulant Pendulum,” Educational Leadership and Administration. The Annual Journal of the California Association of Professors of Educational Administration, Fall 2001.
- “Essential Actions for Building Leadership Capacity.” In Ecoliteracy: Mapping the Terrain. Berkeley, CA.: Center for Ecoliteracy, 2000.
- Review – Hero’s Journey by C. Moffitt and J. Brown. Journal of Staff Development. Spring, 2000.
- Review – What’s Worth Fighting for in the Principalship, What’s Worth Fighting for Out There, What’s Worth Fighting for in the School? M. Fullan and A. Hargreaves. Educational Leadership, April, 2000.
- Building Leadership Capacity in Schools. Alexandria, VA: ASCD. 1998.
- “How to Build Leadership Capacity.” Educational Leadership. Alexandria, VA: ASCD. Vol. 55, April, 1998.
- “Building Leadership Capacity in Schools.” Educational Leadership and Administration. The Annual Journal of the California Association of Professors of Educational Administration. Vol. 9, Fall, 1997.
- Who Will Save Our Schools? With Karen Kent, Anna Richert, Michelle Collay, and Mary Dietz. Sherman Oaks, CA.: Corwin Press, 1997.
- “Constructivist Leadership Defined.” School Administration: The New Knowledge Base. The Fifth Yearbook of the National Council of Professors of Educational Administration. Louis Wildman (Ed.). Lancaster, PA: Technomic Publishing, 1997.
- “New Roles for Leaders: A Dialog between Linda Lambert and Thomas Sergiovanni.” Moderated by Fritjof Capra. The Networker. California Staff Development Council. Vol. VII, Spring, 1996.
- “Leadership Capacity: An Invitation to Discourse.” The Journal of CAPEA. California Association of Professors of Educational Administration. Vol. 8, Fall, 1996.
- “The Imperative of Teacher Leadership.” Mentor Teacher Connections. A Newsletter of the California Department of Education, Vol. II, Winter, 1995.
- The Constructivist Leader, with Deborah Walker, Dianne Zimmerman, Joanne Cooper, Morgan Lambert, Mary Gardner and P.J. Ford Slack. Teachers College Press, Columbia University. 1995.